New York Times, her work explores the kinetic source of sound, bringing focus to the muscular act of music making and the chaotic behaviors of raw acoustic matter. She holds a PhD in Music Composition from Harvard University and joined the Dartmouth College Music Department as Assistant Professor in 2015. On September 20th, 2018 The New York Philharmonic premiered Filament, for trio, orchestra, and moving voices, commissioned for their 2018 opening gala concert. Justin Davidson’s feature length profile of Fure for New York Magazine. International Robert Schumann Contest for Pianists and Singers originated in 1956 on the hundredth anniversary of Schumann’s death. It was only on the occasion of the third contest that this musical event »moved« to Zwickau once and for all. An international competition of great renown: At the outset of their careers, many of today’s world-famous pianists and singers graced the stage of the »Neue Welt« as winners of the International Robert Schumann Contest for Pianists and Singers in Zwickau. The programme’s content has constantly changed over the years, indeed decades, yet it is naturally Schumann’s great piano and song cycles which form the immovable cornerstones. International Robert Schumann Contest for Pianists and Singers is planned for 2008.
The list of prize winners includes names that have won international acclaim: the pianists Eliso Virsaladze, Dezsö Ránki, Pavel Egorov, Emma Tachmizjan, Yves Henry, Eric Le Sage and Mikhail Mordvinov as well as the singers Siegfried Lorenz, Mitsuko Shirai, Lászlo Polgár, Sergej Lejferkus, Edith Wiens, Matthias Görne, Barbara Hölzl and Bodil Arnesen. A number of these have even gone on to join the competition’s jury and thus guarantee the artistic continuity of the Robert Schumann Contest. Jump to navigation Jump to search For other ships with the same name, see USS Constellation. USS Constellation is a sloop-of-war, the last sail-only warship designed and built by the United States Navy. The sloop was launched on 26 August 1854 and commissioned on 28 July 1855 with Captain Charles H. She remained in service for close to a century before finally being retired in 1954. From 1816 to the 1830s, the Navy accumulated extensive stocks of live oak timbers for use in new warship construction under the provisions of the Act for the Gradual Increase of the Navy of the United States, passed in 1816. Beginning in May 1853, work on assembling the timbers commenced, as the shipyard workers prepared to start construction of the new sloop-of-war.
32-pounder guns mounted on her gun deck in the main battery. Engraving of Constellation in dry dock, c. Constellation was commissioned on 28 July 1855, under the command of Captain Charles H. She immediately departed for a tour with the Mediterranean Squadron that lasted three years. In June 1859, she recommissioned for service with the Africa Squadron, where she served as the squadron flagship, under the command of Captain Thomas Aloysius Dornin. A week after the Battle of Fort Sumter, which began the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln declared a blockade of all ports of the Confederacy on 19 April 1861. Thatcher reasoned that since his ship was known to be patrolling the Mediterranean, and there were no other similar warships in the Navy, that he would be able to surprise Confederate cruisers and blockade runners. In September 1892, Constellation recommissioned for another unusual duty, to help assemble works of art in Gibraltar for the World’s Columbian Exposition. During the cruise, she made stops in Naples, Italy and Le Havre, France, before returning to New York in February 1893. In 1914, Constellation took part in celebration commemorating the one-hundredth anniversary of the writing of “The Star-Spangled Banner”, the national anthem of the United States.
Constellation was renamed Old Constellation on 1 December 1917, since the name was to be used for a new Lexington-class battlecruiser that had been ordered. On 24 July 1925, the ship reverted to her original name when the battlecruiser was scrapped under the terms of the Washington Naval Treaty. The Navy Department ordered that Constellation be decommissioned for preservation on 16 June 1933. The Navy conducted surveys of the ship and prepared cost estimates for the work needed to restore her, but no work was done. This section needs additional citations for verification. After restoration work was completed, she was taken to her permanent berth—Constellation Dock, Inner Harbor at Pier 1, 301 East Pratt Street, Baltimore, Maryland on 4 July 1961. In 1994, Constellation was condemned as an unsafe vessel.
9 million rebuilding and restoration project was undertaken and completed in July 1999. On 26 October 2004, Constellation made her first trip out of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor since 1955. Naval Academy in Annapolis lasted six days, and it marked her first trip to Annapolis in 111 years. The rebuilt ship was returned to her inner harbor berth in late March 2015. Her rigging was completed by May 2015, and she is now again open to the public. Tours are regularly available, self-guided or with the assistance of staff. The city of Baltimore promoted the ship and even rebuilt sections of the ship to resemble the 1797 frigate. Starting shortly after World War II, a controversy arose over whether the 1854 sloop was a new ship or a rebuilt version of the 1797 frigate. Chapelle was one of the first people to raise the issue.